Many positions in Australia and Canada are currently unfilled due to a severe shortage of civil engineers with two or more years of experience. Civil engineers from other countries are frequently hired by engineering leaders in these two countries on both a short- and long-term basis. Through the very popular Skilled Migration and Express Entry routes, one can also secure residency in these countries without the need for a job offer.
Civil engineers, geotechnical engineers, and others are examples of those who are sought after in the Engineering industry. In most cases, civil engineers are in higher demand than others, but there is a strong demand for all types.
How do I secure a Residency Visa in Australia or Canada as a Civil Engineer?
Without a Job Offer
Did you know that you can apply for residency in Australia and Canada before receiving a job offer? Both Canada and Australia have skilled migration programmes that qualify you for residency solely on the basis of your professional profile. Age, qualifications, and work experience all play a significant role in eligibility. Once you have obtained your temporary or permanent residency status, you will be in a much better position to land your dream job because employers will not have to deal with the onboarding work permit process. You could start working right away because you already have working rights in your passport. This is by far the best way to begin a new life in these countries.
With a Job Offer
Most applicants who do not qualify for skilled migration start looking for work in the country of their choice. In this case, being "Job Ready" is an absolute must. The vast majority of work visa subclasses require a skills assessment. When looking for work, having a valid skills assessment will add a lot of weight to an applicant's CV.
Tasks & Duties:
How do I know if I am Qualified as a Civil Engineer?
The following tasks and duties are commonly carried out by civil engineers and an 80% understanding of these normally means one can apply for a skills assessment.
- Determining construction methods, materials and quality standards, and drafting and interpreting specifications, drawings, plans, construction methods and procedures;
- Organising and directing site labour and the delivery of construction materials, plant and equipment, and establishing detailed programs for the coordination of site activities;
- Obtaining soil and rock samples at different depths across sites and testing samples to determine strength, compressibility and other factors that affect the behaviour of soil and rock when a structure is imposed and determining the safe loading for the soil;
- Studying architectural and engineering drawings and specifications to estimate total costs, and preparing detailed cost plans and estimates as tools to assist in budgetary control;
- Monitoring changes to designs, assessing effects on cost, and measuring, valuing and negotiating variations to designs;
- Analysing structural systems for both static and dynamic loads;
- Designing structures to ensure they do not collapse, bend, twist or vibrate in undesirable ways;
- Assessing present and future travel flow patterns taking into account population increase and needs change;
- Designing the physical aspects of transportation systems such as highways, railroads, urban transit, air transportation, logistical supply systems and their terminals.
According to PayScale, a Civil Engineer with at least two years of post-qualification experience can expect to earn an average total compensation of CAD/AUD 71,000. A Civil Engineer with 8 years or more of qualified work experience can expect to earn an average total compensation of CAD/AUD 93,000.
Civil engineers are currently one of the most sought-after professions in the world. Because of the high demand, employers are frequently willing to cover the applicant's relocation costs. To learn more about these offers, please contact a consultant at New World Immigration.
Visas That Are Available
Engineering industry professionals are eligible for the following visas in Australia:
- Visa Subclass 189
- Visa Subclass 190
- Visa Subclass 491
- Visa Subclass 485
- Visa Subclass 482
- Labour Agreement
- Visa Subclass 186
- Visa Subclass 187
- Visa Subclass 494
- Visa Subclass 407
Engineering industry professionals are eligible for the following visas in Canada:
- Federal Express Entry Visa
- Canadian Work Permit subject to LMIA
New World Immigration can facilitate the visa application process for the above visa types, given that a consultant has deemed the applicant qualifies for one or more of the visas processes listed.