Australia and Canada are currently experiencing a severe shortage of vets with two or more years of experience to fill positions in many areas. Owners of veterinary practices in these two countries frequently hire vets from other countries on both a short- and long-term basis. One is also able to secure residency in these countries without the need of a job offer through the very popular Skilled Migration and Express Entry routes.
Within the Veterinary Services industry, these include, but are not limited to, veterinarians, veterinary nurses, and others. In most cases, small animal vets are needed more-so than others, but a strong demand does however exist for all types.
How do I secure a Residency Visa in Australia or Canada as a Veterinarian?
Without a Job Offer
Did you know you can secure residency in Australia and Canada before you receive a job offer? Both Canada and Australia have skilled migration programs that qualify you for residency based on your professional profile alone. Things like age, qualifications and work experience play a big role in becoming eligible. Once you secure your temporary or permanent residency status, you will then be far better positioned to secure your dream job because employers won't need to hassle about the onboarding work permit process. You could start work immediately with the working rights already in your passport. In fact, this is by far the best route to start a life in these countries.
With a Job Offer
Most applicants who do not qualify for skilled migration embark on a job-search process in the desired country of their choice. In this instance, being “Job Ready” is an absolute necessity. A skills assessment is required for the vast majority of work visa subclasses. Having a valid skills assessment will add major weight to an applicant’s CV when they are looking for work.
Tasks & Duties:
How do I know if I am Qualified as a Vet?
The following tasks and duties are commonly carried out by vets and an 80% understanding of these normally means one can apply for a skills assessment.
- Treating animals medically and surgically, as well as administering and prescribing drugs, analgesics, and general and local anaesthetics;
- Determining the presence and nature of abnormal conditions through physical examination, laboratory testing, and diagnostic imaging techniques such as radiography and ultrasound;
- Providing obstetric care to animals;
- Participating in programs designed to prevent the occurrence and spread of animal diseases;
- Vaccinating and testing animals for infectious diseases, as well as notifying authorities of infectious animal disease outbreaks;
- Conducting autopsies to determine the cause of death;
- Counselling clients on health, nutrition and feeding, hygiene, breeding, and animal care;
- May provide professional services to commercial companies that manufacture biological and pharmaceutical products;
- May specialise in treating a specific animal group or in a specific specialty area such as cardiology, chiropractic, dermatology, or critical care.
According to PayScale, a Veterinarian with at least two years of post-qualification experience can expect to earn an average total compensation of CAD/AUD 80,000. A Veterinarian with 8 years or more of qualified work experience can expect to earn an average total compensation of CAD/AUD 100,000
At the moment, Veterinarians are considered one of the most sought-after professions world-wide. The demand is so high that employers are often willing to cover the relocation costs of the applicant. Please speak to a consultant at New World Immigration to find out more about these offers.
Visas That Are Available
Veterinary Services professionals are eligible for the following visas in Australia:
- Visa Subclass 189;
- Visa Subclass 190;
- Visa Subclass 491;
- Visa Subclass 485;
- Visa Subclass 482;
- Labour Agreement;
- Visa Subclass 186;
- Visa Subclass 187;
- Visa Subclass 494;
- Visa Subclass 407.
Veterinary Services professionals are eligible for the following visas in Canada:
- Federal Express Entry Visa;
- Canadian Work Permit subject to LMIA.
New World Immigration can facilitate the visa application process for the above visa types, given that a consultant has deemed the applicant qualifies for one or more of the visas processes listed.
Start your Visa Assessment Here