Tel: +27 21 555 0951

Sport/Work Exchange

Time Processing Time in South Africa: 6-12 Weeks
Application Fee: R3560 (Lodged in South Africa)
Dollar Currency Sign2

Government Nomination Fee: AUD$85(Lodged in Australia)

 Applying for a Sport / Work Exchange Visa

This visa subclass is for applicants wanting to come to Australia only on a temporary basis under one of these four following streams:

  • Exchange stream: This stream allows applicants work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange agreement that allows the following:
    • Allows applicants an opportunity to experience another culture
    • Improve on their international relations
    • Allows for applicants to expand on their experience and knowledge.
  • Sport stream: Allows for the improvement the quality of standard in sports in Australia through the participation in competition with Australian residents to:
    • Have participation in specific events or a series of events as individuals or as part of a team/support staff
    • This allows applicants to play or coach for a sporting club for a season under contract
    • Allows applicants to adjudicate or judge a sporting event or competition.
  • Religious Worker stream:  This stream allows applicants to be full-time religious workers, serving the religious needs of a religious institution within Australia.
  • Domestic Worker (Executive) stream:  This unique stream allows applicants to work full time within the home of senior foreign executives.

There are 3 stages to this process:

  • A sponsorship from a government agency, organisation or  from a foreign government agency applies to become a long-stay activity sponsor
  •  A nomination is lodged with the long-stay activity sponsor who nominates nominates you to undertake a work or an activity
  • A visa application is then lodged. You are then applying for a Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa 401.

This is a temporary visa. You can be in or outside Australian when you apply for this visa:

For applicants who wish to apply within Australia: Applicants who wish to apply within Australia, they must be in Australia when their visa is granted.

For applicants who wish to applying outside Australia: Applicants who wish to apply outside of Australia, they must be outside of Australia when their visa is granted.

This visa  would allow you to:

  • Live in Australia for the period of the nominated position, for a maximum period of two years
  • Work specified in your nominated occupation
  • You would be entitled to bring eligible family members with you
  • You would be allowed to have  multiple entry in and out of Australia as many times as you like for the duration of your visa.

You can sponsor someone for this visa if you are:

  • Exchange stream: If you are an Australian organisation who operates in Australia, a foreign government agency  who operates in Australia with an agreement in place with overseas organisations for the exchange of staff.
  •  Sport stream: Sporting organisations that operate lawfully in Australia.
  • Religious Worker stream: Religious institutions that are lawfully operating in Australia.
  • Domestic Worker (Executive) stream:

For foreign government agencies who are the employers of the holders of Temporary Work (International Relations) visas (subclasses 403) within the Privileges and Immunities streams who are the national managing directors, deputy national managing directors or state managers of Australian offices of the agency

For foreign organisations that operate lawfully within Australia and are the employers of the holders of Temporary Work (Skilled) visas (subclass 457) who are the national managing directors, deputy national managing directors or state managers of an Australian office of their organisations.

You must also show that you have the following:

  • To evidence that you/your company has abided by Australian law and that you have a good business record.
  • You/your company can comply with the sponsorship obligations for this stream.

Operating lawfully within Australia

Your company must be a lawfully established company and must be actively engaged in business activities within Australia. Please note that your organisation may include unincorporated body (other than an individual or a sole trader) or a body corporate.

To  be eligible to nominate visa applicants for a Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visas (subclass 401), you would be required to apply for approvals as, or if you have already been approved as the following:

  • As an exchange sponsor, as a sport sponsor or  as a religious worker sponsor ( please note that this is for sponsorship applications lodged before 24 November 2012).
  • As a long stay activity sponsor.

Please be advised that your nomination application can only be approved once your sponsorship is approved.

Please note that nomination requirements differ from application to application, depending on the intended nomination type:

  • Religious Work
  • Domestic Work (Executive).
  • Staff exchange
  • Sporting activity

Your Application

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed

Your Credentials

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed


Other Information

Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed