||Processing Time in South Africa: 33 months for 75% of Applicants
Government Fee for Visa: AUD$3,770 for the main applicant. AUD$1,270 for dependents over 18 years and AUD$515 for dependents under 18 years. There is a second visa application charge per person listed on the application of AUD$43,600 for the single applicant and an additional $43,600 for a 2nd Applicant.
Applying for a Contributory Parent Migration Visa 143 ( Permanent )
This visa would allow you to live and work permanently in Australia if you have a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen who has settled in Australia. You must have a child that has been living lawfully in Australia for 2 years immediately before the application is lodged.
This visa is for you if you:
- If you are the holder of a Contributory Parent (Temporary) Subclass 173 visa
- have a child living in Australia for 2 years as a Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen
- able to meet the balance of family (BoF) test
- be of good health and character
- You have an accepted Assurance of Support from a sponsor
You can be either inside or outside of Australia when applying for this visa. If you are in Australia and want to apply for this visa, you must hold a valid temporary visa that does not have any conditions placed on it exempting you from applying for further visas in Australia. When the visa is decided, you must be outside of Australia.
This visa lets you:
- Remain in Australia indefinitely
- You to work and study in Australia
- You enrol in Australia’s health related care and expenses scheme, Medicare
- You to apply for Australian Citizenship once you become eligible
- You to travel to and from Australia for 5 years from the date that your visa is granted
There is also a Contributory Parent Temporary Visa Subclass 173 available should you wish to spread out the costs of the Contributory Parent Migration Visa Subclass 143 over a number of years instead of paying everything up front when applying directly for the migration visa.
The Contributory Parent Temporary Visa Subclass 173 visa would allow you to live and work in Australia if you have a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen who has settled in Australia for up to 2 years. This is a temporary visa that cannot be extended or renewed. You must have a child that has been living lawfully in Australia for 2 years immediately before the application is lodged. Once in Australia you will have 2 years in which to apply for a Contributory Parent Migration Visa Subclass 143.
Who can be my Sponsor?
Your child, your child’s spouse/de facto partner is able to sponsor you. They must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen who has been living in Australia for at least 2 years before you are able to apply for this visa. Children of all ages are able to act as a sponsor for their parents.
If the child is under the age of 18 years of age you can be sponsored by:
- A relative/legal guardian of your minor child
- Your child’s spouse (if the spouse is an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen that has turned 18)
- A relative/legal guardian of your child’s spouse
- A community organisation
What are my Sponsors Obligations?
Your sponsor must give a written undertaking advising that they will be providing you as the parent full support for the first 10 years of your stay in Australia.
During your stay period your sponsor must provide:
- Support (assurance of support)
- Your accommodation
- Financial assistance for you
What is Assurance of Support?
This is a legal commitment to provide you with financial support for the first 10 years in Australia so that you do not have to rely on any social security payments. Up to 3 people can provide assurance of support for you and this can be provided by your sponsor, another person or organisation.
The assurer/s must:
- pay a bond for each person on the application aged 18 years or older;
- AUD$10 000 for the main applicant
- AUD$4000 for each additional adult family member included in the application
- repay any recoverable social security payments you have received in the first 10 years of you living in Australia
- provide financial assistance for the first 10 years of your stay in Australia
If an organisation is your assurer they will be required to pay a larger bond.
The bond is refunded once the 10 year period from the grant of the visa has expired. Any debts owed to the Australian Government are first deducted from the bond amount and only the balance is refunded. You are not released from the bond requirement earlier if/when becoming an Australian Citizen.
Processing Times and Visa Requirements
This visa is a capped visa. This means that there are only a certain amount of spaces allocated to be filled by the Australian Government annually and therefore only a certain amount of applications are drawn for assessment and approval. However the Australian Government currently has sufficient space allocated for these visas and therefore they are processed quicker than the Aged Parent Migration Visa 103.
When a visa place becomes available:
- Your application is assessed and checked to make sure whether or not you still qualify to apply for this visa
- If still eligible, the second instalment of the visa application charge is payable
- A final decision is made on your application
The Main Requirements are:
- Valid Passport
- Birth Certificate’s of all family members in and outside for Australia/travelling and non travelling
- Have an eligible sponsor
- A clear criminal record (Certain cases can be discussed on a case by case basis, should there be an issue).
- A clean bill of health (Certain cases can be discussed on a case by case basis, should there be an issue).
Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed
Fields marked * are mandatory and must be completed